While most marketing campaigns are digital these days, physical advertising can go a long way when done the right way. By integrating direct mail campaigns with other marketing channels, companies can effectively provide a more unique and personalized experience that helps to set them apart from competitors.
In this article, Davant Indy will explain what a direct mail campaign is and some of the best practices. This way, you’ll have a better understanding of how a direct mail campaign can positively impact your business. When you know how to use direct mail to your advantage, you can create a marketing strategy that will be far more advantageous to your business. Let’s get started!
What is a Direct Mail Marketing?
Direct mail marketing includes any physical correspondence sent to a business’s customers via mail in order to advertise their services and/or products. It is best practice to include your company’s name, logo, brand colors, a call to action (CTA), and a way for customers to contact you when creating a direct mail campaign.
Although many believe that marketing practices have gone fully digital, physical mail still holds its place in the marketing world. According to a survey from 2017, direct mail campaigns had a higher return on investment (ROI) than both paid search and online display ads. This shows the power of direct mail campaigns in an age where so much of our marketing practices are digital.
Steps to Make a Direct Mail Campaign Work For You
So how exactly does a direct mail campaign work? Launching a direct mail campaign is actually quite similar to the process of launching a digital marketing campaign. In actuality, the only real difference is the method used to distribute your campaign. In order to make a direct mail campaign work for you, follow these steps:
1. Define the goals of your direct mail campaign: Before you start plotting out the specifics of your direct mail campaign, you must first define your goals. Are you looking to gain more customers? Are you trying to drive more customers to your website? Is it your mission to announce the launch of a new product and drum up interest? No matter your goal, you’ll need to have it clear in your mind in order to formulate the best direct mail campaign possible.
2. Define your target audience: Now that you’ve decided what the goal of your direct mail campaign is, you’ll need to decide who your target audience is. In order for your direct mail campaign to be as successful as possible, it will need to be tailored to fit the needs of your audience. To be able to do this, you’ll need to know your audience is first.
3. Create your mailing list: There are two different types of mailing lists that you can use in a direct mail campaign: house lists and purchased lists. House lists have names and addresses of customers you’ve already acquired. Purchased lists, on the other hand, include specifically selected audiences with high deliverability rates. In most cases, it’s a better idea to stick with house lists for a direct mail campaign as purchased lists can sometimes be of questionable quality.
4. Determine the best CTA: One of the most important components of your direct mail campaign will be the call to action, or CTA. Determining what the best CTA for your campaign is early on will serve you well. Remember, a good CTA grabs the attention of your customer in a way they won’t forget. Take your time creating one that really works for you.
5. Decide on the best format for your direct mail campaign: When it comes to the exact format of your direct mail campaign, you have several different options. Here are a few to consider: brochures, letters, flyers, regular postcards, oversized postcards, and booklets.
6. Start the design process: Now that you’ve reached the design step, you’ll need to keep your predetermined goal and CTA in mind and make these the primary focus of your design. You’ll also want to be careful not to use too much text or busy graphics. You’ll want to make the design attractive and straightforward, but memorable. Hire a team of graphic designers for the best possible final product.
7. Send your mail: Now that you’ve completed all of the necessary steps, it’s time to send your mail. Many businesses find this part of the process difficult because sending large volumes of mail to so many different addresses can be a challenging process. For this reason, it is often best to work with a company that specializes in direct mailing services.
Entrust Davant Indy With Your Next Direct Mail Campaign
Now that you know what a direct mail campaign is, how it can benefit your company, and the steps involved in creating an effective direct mail campaign, it’s time to entrust a team of experts to help you design and send the perfect direct mailer.
Davant Indy is a printing solutions company that specializes in the design, printing, mailing, signs, and promotional products. It’s our mission to not just get the job done, but to exceed expectations as we work with the people, not just the business. Contact us today to learn what we can do for you!